The Koch Agenda
The billionaire Koch brothers support a dangerous agenda that embraces their radical free-market ideology and increases their own wealth.
So it’s no wonder the Koch network has multiple shadow organizations working to buy Nevada’s Senate seat – the Kochs know that Congressman Joe Heck will protect their interests and do their bidding. According to the Americans for Prosperity scorecard, Heck currently votes for the Koch agenda 90 percent of the time last year alone.
The Koch agenda is to protect wasteful and unnecessary tax breaks to Big Oil companies and block efforts to tackle climate change in order to help their bottom line. Koch Industries is one of the largest carbon polluters in the country. In Washington, Heck has voted to protect subsidies and tax breaks for Big Oil.
- Congressman Joe Heck voted against a tax on oil sales. [H. Con. Res. 112, Vote 296, 6/10/16]
- Heck voted against requiring oil companies to give up certain tax breaks. [CQ, 6/21/12, H.R. 4480, Vote 409, 6/21/12]
- Heck voted against getting rid of tax breaks for Big Oil companies. [CQ, 3/1/11; H.J.Res. 44, Vote 153, 3/1/11]
The Koch agenda is to gut the Environmental Protection Agency and any rules to combat carbon pollution, so that Koch Industries can increase their corporate profits without any regard for public health, our environment or climate change. In Washington, Heck has voted time and time again to weaken the Environmental Protection Agency’s authority.
- Congressman Joe Heck voted to weaken the Clean Air Act. [H.R. 4775, Vote 282, 6/8/16]
- Congressman Heck voted against ensuring the EPA could continue to regulate dangerous particles containing lead and asbestos. [CQ, 12/08/11; HR 1633, Vote #911, 12/08/11]
- Congressman Heck voted to limit the power of the EPA to regulate water pollution. [CQ, 7/13/11, H.R. 2018, Vote 573, 7/13/11]
- Congressman Joe Heck voted against a carbon tax. [H. Con. Res. 89, Vote 295, 6/10/16]
- Congressman Heck has dodged questions about whether climate change is happening. [Public Radio International, 10/17/12]
- Congressman Heck voted to defund climate change research. [CQ, 5/20/15, H.Amdt.250 to H.R. 1806, Vote 254, 5/20/15]
The Koch agenda is to build the Keystone XL pipeline to increase profits for oil companies. In Washington, Heck voted to build the Keystone XL pipeline and voted against requiring safety reviews of projects like the Keystone XL pipeline.
- Congressman Joe Heck has voted numerous times to approve the Keystone pipeline. [CQ, 11/14/14, H.R. 5682, Vote 519, 11/14/14; CQ, 2/11/15, S.1, Vote 75, 2/11/15]
- Congressman Heck voted against an amendment that would require the Transportation secretary to conduct a safety review of pipeline transportation infrastructure projects if requested by a state or tribal government. [CQ, 11/3/15; Amdt. 29 to HR 22, Vote 590, 11/3/15]
The Koch agenda wants to privatize Social Security, subjecting the retirement security of seniors to the whims of Wall Street. In Washington, Heck wants to private Social Security and has called the program a “pyramid scheme.”
- Congressman Joe Heck voted to allow funding to be used to privatize Social Security. [CQ, 3/15/11; motion to recommit H.J. Res. 48, Vote 178, 3/15/11]
- Congressman Joe Heck called Social Security a “pyramid scheme.” [YouTube, Heck at Boulder City Town Hall, 5/18/11]
- Congressman Heck wants to raise the retirement age to 69. [KTVN, 8/11/15]
The Koch agenda is to repeal the Affordable Care Act, leaving millions of Americans without affordable health insurance, and make it easier for businesses to deny their employees health care. The Kochs also support a radical plan to end the Medicare and Medicaid programs as we know them. In Washington, Heck has voted 37 times to repeal the ACA and has voted to turn Medicare into a voucher program.
- Congressman Joe Heck voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act 37 times. [Las Vegas Sun, 6/12/15]
- Congressman Joe Heck voted to raise the number of hours employees have to work to receive healthcare from their employers. [H.R. 30, Vote 14, 1/8/15]
- Congressman Joe Heck voted to turn Medicare into a voucher program. [CQ, 3/15/11; motion to recommit H.J. Res. 48, Vote 178, 3/15/11; CQ, 4/15/11; H Con Res 34, Vote 277, 4/15/11]
- Congressman Joe Heck voted to repeal the Independent Payment Advisory Board, which keeps Medicare costs down for seniors. [H.R. 1190, Vote 376, 6/23/15]
The Koch agenda seeks to abolish the Export-Import Bank, the independent agency that helps American businesses export goods and services around the world and create millions of jobs here at home. The Kochs also oppose new investments in rebuilding our infrastructure and new rules to protect regular Americans from Wall Street. In Washington, Heck voted against reauthorizing Export-Import Bank, against infrastructure funding, and against regulations for Wall Street.
- Congressman Joe Heck voted against reauthorizing the Export-Import bank. [H.R. 597, Vote 576, 10/27/15]
- Congressman Joe Heck voted against infrastructure funding, which will repair our roads and bridges, and create American jobs. [H. Con. Res. 112, Vote 296, 6/10/16]
- Heck voted to allow financial advisors to hide conflicts of interests from their clients. [H.J. Res 88, Vote 176, 4/28/16]
- Heck voted to roll back regulations on mortgages that led to the 2008 financial crisis. [CQ, 11/18/15; HR 1210, Vote 636, 11/18/15]
The Koch agenda is to eliminate taxes for big corporations and wealthy billionaires (like the Koch brothers). In Washington, Heck supports tax breaks that help the wealthy not the middle class, and supports repealing the estate tax, which would save the Koch brothers billions of dollars.
- Congressman Joe Heck supports tax plans that favor the wealthy over the middle class. [CQ, 4/10/14; H.Con.Res 96, Vote 177, 4/10/14; CQ, 3/29/12; H Con Res 112, Vote 151, 3/29/12; CQ, 4/15/11; H Con Res 34, Vote 277, 4/15/11]
- Congressman Heck has said he supports a flat tax, which would hike taxes on the middle class to pay for tax cuts for the rich. [YouTube, Heck on KNPR, 5/20/10]
- Congressman Joe Heck voted to repeal the estate tax. [H.R. 1105, Vote 161, 4/16/15]
The Koch agenda is to dismantle the bargaining power of labor unions so businesses can exploit their workers and deny them fair wages. The Kochs also wants to abolish the federal minimum wage and do not support an increase. In Washington, Heck has consistently voted to weaken unions’ bargaining power and voted against raising the minimum wage.
- Congressman Joe Heck has voted to against allowing collective bargaining for certain federal employees. [CQ, 4/1/11; H.R. 658, Vote 220, 4/1/11]
- Congressman Heck has consistently voted to weaken unions. [CQ, 11/30/11; H.R. 3094, Vote 869, 11/30/11; CQ, 2/3/12; H.R. 658, Vote 33, 2/3/12]
- Congressman Heck opposes a federal minimum wage and has voted against raising the minimum wage. [Nevada Appeal, 8/13/15; CQ, 3/26/14; motion to recommit H.R. 1459, Vote 146, 3/26/14; CQ, 3/15/13; motion to recommit H.R. 803, Vote 74, 3/15/13]
The Koch agenda is to abolish public education. In Washington, Heck has called for eliminating the Department of Education and voted to reallocate funding away from public schools.
- Congressman Heck wants to demote the Department of Education from a cabinet level position. [YouTube, Heck on KNPR, 5/20/10]
- Congressman Heck has voted for voucher programs that reallocate money from public schools. [H.R. 4901, Vote 179, 4/29/16]
Campaign Finance Reform
The Koch agenda is to uphold the disastrous Citizens United decision so they can continue to try to buy our elections with unlimited sums of money. Heck supports allowing corporations to buy our elections with millions of dollars.
- Congressman Heck does not support the repeal of Citizens United. [YouTube, Heck at Republican Women’s Club, Part II, 4/26/11]
The Koch agenda is to privatize America’s public lands so they can profit off of our natural resources without any regard for conservation or public access to hunters, hikers and outdoorsmen. Heck wants to revoke federal lands and transfer them to states, which can’t afford to manage them and would be forced to sell public lands to the highest bidder.
- Congressman Heck believes the federal government owns too much land in the west and wants to return federal lands back to Nevada. [Las Vegas Review-Journal, Steve Sebelius, 7/6/15]
THE BOTTOM LINE:
Congressman Joe Heck consistently votes to help the Koch brothers get richer — and in return, the Koch brothers are buying Nevada’s Senate seat for him.